Monday, November 16, 2009

It's a World of Laughter

It's funny what people can achieve. It's also funny how we are all able to relate to everything. You might be thinking, "What?" Well I'll tell you what, if you'd just give me a second. I was looking at my old post, and I saw a comment made about the boutique Blossom, how a friend from my old ward was related to the girl who started up that boutique. And then I started thinking, well that's a really cool thing to do. Start up a boutique. And the owner is just a regular person. What other just regular people do I know? And then I thought, well, Brooke White was a regular person, and I knew her when she was in my old ward. Then she went on American Idol, and now she's not just a regular person. Cool, right? So I could start up a boutique or I could be on American Idol, I could do these things that seem like pretty big achievements. Ok so on to relateability. That's not a word. Whatever, you know what I mean. Ok so relateability is being able to find a way to connect yourself to another person in a relatively short amount of steps. Old people are especially good at this. Actually, adults are, because my parents constantly ask me who my friends' parents are so they can see if they know them. Most of the time they don't so this gets annoying. But anyway, I once heard that you can connect yourself to another person in 7 or less "links" or steps, no matter their obscurity. For example, say you need to write a report on cancer. No one that you immidiately know has cancer. But in a few steps you'll be able to find someone who does. Maybe you have a teacher whose sister has cancer. Ok so that was two steps. Easy. Maybe you want to brag about being connected to Brooke White. Well, my dad was a home teacher to the White family, and he taught them once a month. So my dad knows the Whites personally, including Brooke. So my dad knows Brooke White. That's two steps. And maybe you're thinking, alright you're using things that are fairly easy to access. Then how about I try to relate myself to..... Obama. Step 1: last year I sat next to a girl in Enviromental Science whose dad is in Congress. Step 2: He, since he works in the political scene, has met the President. Agh look there's two steps again. And given, for a lot of these things you might have to stretch, especially if you pick some random kid in Africa (one of my school clubs did a humanitarian project for some of the victims in some of the warring countries there. that's about 3 steps). It really is about knowing the things around you, being involved and interested in people's lives. If you can't connect something in 7 steps or less, that just means you haven't branched out enough. And once you do, you'll see that it really isn't such a small world after all. Maybe one day you'll be able to connect yourself to Paris Hilton in three steps or less. But then again, that's not something to really be proud of, now is it?

1 comment: