Sunday, September 25, 2011

NEW TEST (a ment)

So for New Testament class here at BYU (yay!!!!) part of my semester-long project is that I am supposed to blog about the opportunities I've had to help people throughout the week. (Note: I structured this project myself. So I have to listen to church music in the mornings as I get ready as part of it, and the other part is learning to follow promptings and looking to find ways to help people. Then I'll blog once a week about it.)
Last week I forgot to blog. Here is that one:

I learned that I am bad at this. I learned that if I don't keep up a constant mental effort to look for opportunities to help, I'll miss them. This week I felt like a failure because I didn't think I did anything. But towards the end of it, I realized that I was able to help out a friend that was going through some hard times just by discussing things with her. It's amazing how much you can start to love someone when you connect on a spiritual level.

This weeks:

Once again, I felt like I came up short. But I'm realizing offering your company to a friend is giving of your time (and sometimes your sleep). And that counts. I'm starting to see that it's about the interaction. The time spent listening and conversing sometimes is the best thing you could do for someone. I realized I smile at people, I make people laugh, and I compliment them. That comes naturally, but maybe that is service, too, in a small way.

Ok. So now that that's over, today I made fry bread. #yumimissmyfamily. It was delicious and I got to share it with a few of my friends here at the Colony. I realized I love making food and sharing it with people. Chol and I do it a lot, and the inner Scrooge will always rear his head for a second and say NOO! YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY! and then the baker inside of my slaps him and throws him in a Harry Potter closet. Because it's fun to get people together to eat stuff that is filling and yummy. College kids don't eat good food lots of the time, so they always appreciate it. And it makes me feel good.
Hey. Maybe that's another way I helped out this week. Food. I get that from my dad, I think. He loves giving away our food. As a little kid I was always like, NOOO THE ROOTBEER! DONT GIVE THAT TO GRANDPA! But now I see why he did it. We don't have much, but it's just natural to share what we have.
Anyway, that's all for now. My feet are freezing.


No comments:

Post a Comment